Saturday, December 5, 2015

What a Difference a Week Makes!

Last weekend was HARD. The holiday put me right at the very edge (see this post: That Damned Voice). At that time, I was actually planning how I was going to drink this weekend.  But now that this weekend has arrived, I've got no desire to drink, none whatsoever.

My thoughts last weekend scared me so badly that I upped my sobriety plan this last week, adding not only reading sober blogs but also blogging myself, and it's helped immensely.

My husband is out of town this weekend, so I spend last night quietly watching movies on the couch.  Yes, I ate ice cream, but I didn't drink, and I didn't feel like drinking. When it came time to go to bed, I reflected on how wonderful it felt to slide between cool, clean sheets completely sober.  What an amazing feeling! I've decided that this feeling is almost as wonderful as waking up with no hangover.

What I've learned this week:
  • If I'm feeling like I need to drink, like there's no other damned option other than drinking, like my world is just going to end if I can't have a drink, hang tough, hold on with everything I've got, even if it means white-knuckling it.  The urge will pass. Sometimes faster than other times, but it will pass!
  • Clean, cold sheets and being sober are a perfect combination, just like peanut butter and jelly!

2 comments:

  1. Agree with everything you said. Cravings are in our heads. If we shut them down or just wait patiently to go away, they will. Eventually. But it is a very hard work. Hang in there. You are doing so so great. And yes, blogging helps. A lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! You are doing great. That Damned Voice has been on my back a lot lately. I've managed to ignore it so far but I'm worried about the coming weeks. I need to just concentrate on today. I will not drink today. And I agree about going to sleep sober. It's a wonderful feeling. Hopefully soon I will start to feel full of energy! A x

    ReplyDelete