Thursday, December 10, 2015

Calm Waters

I’ve been quiet on my blog this week because things here have been quiet.  I’ve just been working, taking care of my family, working out, watching TV, hanging with my kids, cuddling with my dogs, and playing around with my new hobby at night (90-gallon aquarium).

You know what’s not in that list?

Obsessing about wine. 

Yes, I’ve had some conversations about it with a few people, but wine really hasn’t taken up any space in my head at all in the last four days.  It’s a WONDERFUL feeling.  I realize how quickly this can change, but I’m certainly enjoying it while I can!

On a different topic, I’ve been working with an online  trainer/coach on and off for the last two years. In addition to crafting me some pretty awesome lifting programs and helping me with nutrition, he’s been so supportive of my decision not to drink. Honestly, he’s more than a coach; I consider him a friend at this point.  

This week, he shared a method of processing emotions called SIFTing.  It means to:
  1. What is the SITUATION? (the event or person that triggered the emotion)
  2. Do you notice INTERPRETATIONS or thoughts that relate to your experience?
  3. What FEELINGS and sensations do you notice in your body?
  4. What TENDENCIES show up? Meaning... are you compelled to respond a certain way?

I think that not only is this a great way to deal with difficult emotions or situations, it’s perfect for working through those times when the Damned Voice is on the attack.  It provides a structure that’s easy to use, yet so effective.  I look forward to using this next time I start hearing the DV rattling around in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment