Sunday, December 6, 2015

My God! How Fast Things Can Change!

Yesterday morning, I was feeling great and wrote my post about how just one week changed my attitude and desire to drink so completely.

But get this!

By mid-afternoon, the urge to drink was almost unbearable again! How can this be? I had just spent all that time thinking about how wonderful it is to be sober, how lovely it is going to bed having had nothing to drink, and waking up hangover-free!

And suddenly, all I could think about was how I desperately wanted wine and that it was a perfect night to have some, especially since my husband is out of town and won't have to know.  I ended up white-knuckling the entire afternoon and evening!  I distracted myself by spending time with my daughter and her boyfriend at the dog park (beautiful weather here finally!) and taking them out for sushi.  I usually drink 2-3 glasses of Cabernet at this restaurant, and this was the first time I've been there without drinking.  (Ok, so I admit that if any restaurant serves alcohol, I probably haven't eaten dinner there without drinking.)  Ordering my beverage was the tipping point of the night, but as much as I was tempted to order wine, I ended up with a glass of water in front of me.

And it all got better from there on out. No more urge to drink! Whew! I feel like I escaped by the skin of my teeth.

What I learned: That Damned Voice is tricky, and if I'm feeling at all cocky and sure of myself, it'll take that opportunity to strike; I need to keep my defenses up at all times.

6 comments:

  1. I recently went out to lunch and ordered a lemonade instead of a wine. I didn't miss the wine, I had a great time and I was a sober driver. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is tricky.
    Find a go to drink that you like.
    It helps.
    I've even ordered dessert first. Whatever it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for getting through the cravings. That Damned Voice has been on my back a lot lately. I hate it!! When I first started going out to dinner during sober periods it felt really strange. But you get used to it. You begin to realise that going out to dinner is the fun bit, and the experience of being with family or friends. It's not the wine. You are doing great. A x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so know what it feels like. It seems like I was battling my cravings all weekend long. Except in the mornings when I wake up and feel great. Try to distract yourself with whatever... I am trying my best. It is so hard! You are doing so great. Keep on going. We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew - you had me on the edge of my seat through that post. Good going! (I agree that having a go-to drink is key, but here's something I've recently realized: If that go-to drink is, say, soda pop, there's a calorie cost there too. I was feeling svelte and slim my first two weeks sober, and then I hit a wall with losing my blub. I realized I was drinking ginger ale like water (125 calories a can), so I switched to sparkling water. Duh, me.) Keep going - you're strong and doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful write up, I think what i like the most here is the precise arrangement of this blogs in accordance of their
    authoritativeness. Once again nice work! Looking forward to the responsiveness of this blogs content and the refreshment
    of this list.
    Addiction Rehab Centers

    ReplyDelete